Indian Civil Services (UPSC)
Indian Civil Services has various departments to serve the Nation. (Proud to be an Indian)
UPSC Official Website: http://www.upsc.gov.in/
IAS Official Website: http://ias.nic.in/
IFS Office Website: http://ifs.nic.in/
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Police Service (IPS)
- Indian Foriegn Service (IFS)
- Group-A sector
- Audit, Finance, Customs, Central Excise, Defence, Revenue, Postal, Railway, RPF, Indian Informative Service.
- Group-B sector
- RRB, Armed Forces (Civil), Union Teritory Civil Service.
- Any degree from a recognised University, citizen of India.
- Age limit: 21-30 as on August 1st of the year.
- More specific details: http://www.thisismyindia.com/education/civil-services-eligibility.html
- IAS Prelims (2 hrs): General Studies & Optional Subject (Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, Agriculture, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics etc.) -- [Timeline: May-June]
- Civil Services Main Examinations: (9 papers in Oct-Nov - 3hrs each paper)
- One of the Indian languages, English, Essay GK and Current Affairs: 2 papers on general studies
- 2-papers on optional-1 and 2-papers on optional-2 (see UPSC Prospectus)
- Civil Services Interview: Interview Calls sent in Mar-Apr and it take place in Apr-May.
- UPSC Results 2007 (News) - http://www.indianexpress.com/story/30955.html
The Government of India has fixed salary grades for Civil Servants. Approximately the range of salaries drawn at various levels is as follows: (http://www.civilserviceindia.com/job-prospects-and-remuneration.html)
- Junior Officers: Rs. 8000-275-13500
- Senior Officers: Rs. 10650-325-15200
- Junior Administrative Grade: Rs. 12,750-375-16,500
- Selection Grade: Rs. 15,100-400-18,300
- Additional Secretary: Rs. 22400-525-24500
- Secretary/Cabinet Secretary: Rs. 26,000/30,000
(The above scales only provide an idea of the pay scales. Different branches of the service have different scales of pay.)
In addition to the salary civil servants receive various allowances such as Dearness Allowance, City compensatory Allowance, Leave Travel Allowance, Medical and subsidised housing.
Magazines to be referred:
- Manorama year book
- Competition Success Review
- Civil Services Chronicle
Some useful websites to prepare for Civil Services
Yahoogroup email list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indian-civil-services/
Important Note: Information provided may be incorrect or changed by Govt of India. Please visit UPSC website or contact UPSC offices at your regional center for details.
Post a Comment